About Kang Yatse II
Towering at an impressive 6,250 metres, Kang Yatse II is a serious challenge and the highest trekking peak in the Indian Himalayas. Our route to the mountain is along the stunning Markha valley where we pass through traditional villages and enjoy stunning mountain views. Going up the valley is gradual which is perfect for acclimatisation and improves our chances of a successful summit attempt. The 12-hour summit day is the crux of the itinerary. Most of the day is spent on snow with some short steep sections which require the use of ropes. The view from the top is one of the best in the Himalaya, offering great views of the Zanskar and Karakoram ranges including K2 (8,611m), the second-highest peak in the world. This is one of the best trekking peaks in the Indian Himalayas and its proximity to Leh makes it very accessible. Ladakh, often referred to as ‘little Tibet’, is characterised by Buddhist culture and tradition. Visits to monasteries, palaces, markets and remote villages are all included in this expedition. As well as enjoying 13 fantastic days in Ladakh you will see Delhi’s best sights and enjoy plenty of retail therapy. This 16-day expedition is suitable for experienced trekkers who have a good level of fitness and a are looking for an exciting challenge!
About Shane’s Kang Yatse II Climb
There are a number of added extras Shane is offering on his climb. They are all optional, but we would love you to partake in them all.
- Training Day and Weekend: Shane will be hosting two pre-departure training events. One day in Dingle and a weekend event in Wicklow. You will also meet an expedition leader, expedition doctor and your fellow adventurers! On the training weekend an experienced expedition leader will be giving a full expedition brief, leading two training hikes and offering expert advice on all aspects of the expedition including training, equipment, weather etc. You will need to register for the events once you have booked your place via the Earth’s Edge booking portal. Training days are included within the price of the trip, food and accommodation required for the training events are not included.
- Kang Yatse II Training Programme: Full access to a specific online training program created by Shane & the team at Earth’s Edge! With the aim of a successful Kang Yatse expedition in 2022! The Online Program consists of 12 Weeks of Training with a focus on preparing both physically and mentally! Alongside the online programme, you will have nutritional support from Shane & his team!
- Kang Yatse II Mindset Training: Full access to the Endurance Mindset mini-course for all attendees! This online module course will help you build the mindset you are going to need for the expedition! We will focus on self-talk, visualisation, motivation, goal setting & the action steps needed for success!
- Team Facebook Group: Shane would like to invite you to a private group where you can meet each other, share pictures, share progress and get excited about this trip of a lifetime. Members of the Earths Edge team will also be in the group to help us with anything that we need!
- Tree planting: We are planting one native tree on your behalf in December 2022 in an effort to reduce your carbon footprint. If you would like to plant more, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Each extra tree costs €5.
- Mountain Cleanup: We are bringing three litter pickers on the mountain with us. While walking you will have the option to help us gather rubbish which we will dispose of responsibly after the climb.
When signing up for the adventure you agree to share your contact information with both Earth’s Edge and Shane Finn so that you can be sent appropriate information about the trip and be invited to participate in the above activities.
Day 1 Dublin to Delhi.↓
Depart Dublin on an overnight flight to Delhi.
Day 2 Delhi.↓
Arrive in Delhi in the mid-morning. Rest for the day or go sightseeing and shopping.
Day 3 Delhi to Leh (3505m).↓
Take the short flight to Leh, capital of Ladakh.
Day 4 Sightseeing in Leh.↓
Spend the day in and around Leh.
Day 5 Leh to Chilling to Skiu (3,400m): 6 hrs trekking.↓
Drive to Chilling village and then trek to Skiu.
Day 6 Skiu to Markha (3 800m): 8 hrs trekking.↓
Cross the Markha river several times before we reach Markha village.
Day 7 Markha to Thachungtse (4,150m): 6 hrs trekking.↓
Trek through Umlung and Hankar villages to reach our campsite at Thachungtse. We get our first view of Kang Yatse today!
Day 8 Thachungtse to Nimaling (4,700m): 4 hrs.↓
Climb away from the Markha valley to reach a beautiful plateau called Nimaling.
Day 9 Nimaling to Base Camp (5,100m): 3 hrs.↓
Trek from Nimaling to Base Camp.
Day 10 Rest day at Base Camp.↓
We practice skills on a nearby snow slope and go for an acclimatisation hike in the afternoon.
Day 11 Base Camp to Advanced Base Camp (5,300m): 3hrs.↓
Trek a short distance to reach the snowline and set up ABC. Early night in preparation for tomorrow’s summit night.
Day 12 Advanced Base Camp to Kang Yatse II (6,250m) to Base Camp: 12 hrs.↓
Early in the morning, we ascend on scree and moraine to reach the snowline. From there the terrain is mostly gradual except for a few short steep sections which may require the use of rope. From the summit we descend back through ABC to reach Base Camp for lunch.
Day 13 Base Camp to Chuskirmo (3,300m): 8 hrs.↓
Retrace our steps back down to Nimaling and then ascend to the Kangmaru La Pass (5,260m) before descending to our campsite outside Chuskirmo.
Day 14 Chiskirmo to Shang Sumdo (3,500m) to Leh: 4 hrs.↓
Trek from Chiskirmo to Shang Sumdo and then drive for two hours to reach Leh. In the evening we enjoy a celebratory meal.
Day 15 Leh to Delhi.↓
Take the amazing flight back down to Delhi over the Great Himalayan Range. Enjoy a full day in Delhi for shopping, sightseeing or relaxing.
Day 16 Delhi to Dublin.↓
Fly Delhi to Dublin.
9 September 2022 - 24 September 2022
16 Spaces Available Book Now