Climbing Island Peak is a bit of a two-for-one expedition. First off, you trek to Everest Base Camp, and stand in the shadow of the world’s tallest mountain. From there, you head on to climb Island Peak, which is used by many mountaineers as a preparation peak before summiting Everest. If that sounds like your dream trip and you’re wondering how much it costs to climb Island Peak, here’s a breakdown…
How much it costs to climb Island Peak
Let’s get right to it! The Earth’s Edge expedition to Island Peak (and Everest Base Camp) currently costs €4,499, including flights from Dublin. Our 23-day expedition includes…
- International flights from Dublin to Kathmandu return (Economy Class) (UK flights not included)
- Internal flights in Nepal
- Experienced Irish/UK expedition leader
- Experienced Irish/UK expedition doctor
- Training Weekend
- Local English speaking guides, cooks and support team
- All accommodation based on twin sharing in hotels in Kathmandu and in guest houses elsewhere
- All meals and drinking water except in Kathmandu where accommodation is based on B&B
- A celebratory dinner
- All transport throughout the expedition
- All group gear consisting of first aid kits, mountaineering equipment, cooking equipment etc
Climbing Island Peak from the UK
If you are looking to travel from the UK, that’s not a problem! You can book the expedition without the flights from Ireland. The cost of this is currently €3,699, or around £3,189. You can then book your own flights to Kathmandu.
What’s not included?
While our expedition fee is comprehensive, it doesn’t include absolutely everything you’ll need. What’s not included? Travel insurance, vaccinations, visas, your own personal expenses and spending money.
How much cash do I need to bring?
We recommend that you bring US $350 in cash and a debit/credit card with you to Nepal. There are ATMs throughout Kathmandu where you can withdraw cash using your card. Why do you need this cash? Well, you might want to treat yourself to a beer in Kathmandu, or buy a few souvenirs. Also included in that amount is the tip for our local team of porters and guides. For the Island Peak expedition, our recommended tip amount is $175. Give this to your expedition leader, and they will divide it amongst the team.
When you’re on the trail, wifi and hot showers are available in some teahouses at a cost of approx. $5 each. So you might want to factor that into your budget. It’s up to you!
Can I pay in instalments?
Of course. An initial deposit of €399 will secure your place on the expedition. After that, you can pay in segments in your account as frequently as you’d like. The full amount is due two months prior to the expedition.
So that’s how much it costs to climb Island Peak! Click here if you want to read more about our expedition.