The trek along the Inca Trail is one of the best in the world. But when you’re covering different terrains, different weather and different temperatures, you need to make sure that you have all the right gear. If you’re wondering what to pack for Machu Picchu, we have you covered with our clothing kit list…
What to pack for Machu Picchu
The best thing to think of when you pack for Machu Picchu is layers. Pack multi-functional, clever layers that you can peel off when you get warm, and cosy up in when it’s chilly. We recommend…
- Pair of shorts (knee length or below)
- Lightweight trousers
- Synthetic/wool/silk long johns
- Waterproof trousers
- Long sleeve base layer (silk, wool, or synthetic)
- Short sleeve base layer x 2 (as above)
- Mid weight fleece
- Underwear (synthetic is better than cotton, because you’ll be sweating)
- Hiking socks
You never know what the weather can do in Machu Picchu, even if you trek in the dry season. Channel the energy of your Mam nagging you as you go to school, and be prepared for a shower! We recommend…
- A hooded down jacket (at least 600 grams in weight)
- Waterproof jacket
- Waterproof poncho
- A fleece hat to wear in the mornings and evenings
No, we don’t mean a jaunty hat or a jazzy cravat. These are the other bits you’ll need when you’re on the trail.
- A sun hat with a wide brim to cover the face and neck
- A pair of lightweight wool or synthetic liner gloves
- A pair of waterproof gloves or mitts (down mitts are preferable)
When you’re planning what to pack for Machu Picchu, it can be a little overwhelming. But don’t worry! When you book on to our Machu Picchu expedition, we send you a comprehensive packing list. This includes all the other bits of kit and equipment you’ll need. You can get everything you need in a shop like Great Outdoors.
You can read more about our Machu Picchu expedition here.